1520-1884 Outline History – Harold Moodey


Throughout the history of the school, it is perhaps inevitable that contacts with the Lord of the Manor should be continuous.

The first Baron Paget, William (1505-68) was presumably concerned in the pensioning of Richard Harman. His grandson, the fourth Baron, William (d. 1629) was, we have seen, a trustee, and was liable for an annual payment of £2 to the stipend of the schoolmaster. The seventh Baron, Henry (d. 1743) who was Baron Burton and first Earl of Uxbridge, made an annual grant of £5 to the usher; this was continued by his grandson, (d. 1769), who if we may Judge from the lawsuit of 1746-52, was a trustee. There was a then break in the succession. The second Earl of Uxbridge had no Issue, and the title became extinct.

Catherine, however, grand-daughter of William, the fifth Baron, was married to Sir Nicholas Bayley. Her son, Henry Bayley (d. 1812), who assumed the name of Paget, became ninth Baron Paget, and in 1781 became first Earl of Uxbridge of the second creation; he was a trustee in 1795. His son, Henry William, second Earl, had a brilliant military career, and alter the battle of Waterloo in which he lost a leg, was created first Marquis of Anglesey on 4th July, 1815. A Marquis of Anglesey is named as trustee in every list which we have available,beginning with that in White’s 1851 History of Staffordshire, and continuing to the end of our present story. The Marquis was also trustee of Alsop’s school in 1849. Since the 1605 list of trustees were named “with their heirs” It seems probable that the office was held continuously at least until 1802. The survivors named from the 1802 trustees, however, in 1825, did not include his Lordship. There thus appears a possible, but not a certain gap at this stage.

(Although it is outside the confines of the present story, it is worthy of mention that from 1867 or earlier to about 1910, his Lordship presented prizes to the School (In the former year their value WHS reported to the Charity Commissioners as £5); in 1943 the present Marquess renewed the ‘tradition’ by the award of “The most Honourable the Marquess of Anglesey’s Leaving Prize” which he has promised to award annually.)


Richard Dethick
William Moorcock
Hugh Gilbert
and their heirs

William Lord Paget
John Bradshaw
William Caldwell
John Hawkes
Jeremiah Horobin
Robert Toone
William Clarke
Henry Clarke
Richard Clarke
Thomas Mutton
William Woodcock and their heirs

1795 app.
Earl of Uxbridge
Isaac Hawkins
John J.Hayne
Abraham Hoskins
Henry Evans
John S.Dawson
Charles Leeson
W. Newton

(survivors from 1802)
Rev. F.H. Carey
Joseph Muckleston J
oseph Pycroft
Abraham Hoskins
Joseph Perks
Thomas Thornewill

1851 (White).
Marquis of Anglesey
Earl of Uxbridge
Rev. H des Voeux
Henry Clay

Marquis of Anglesey
M.T.Bass, M.P.

Marquis of Anglesey.
M.T.Rass M.P., Brewer
W.Worthington, Brewer
W.Wilders, gentleman.
H.Allsop, Brewer.
Abram Bass, Solicitor.
R.T.Belcher, Surgeon.
R.S.Tomlinson, Surgeon.
J.S.Clav, Brewer.
W.H.Worthington, Brewer.
T.Goer.Cheese- factor.
Clerk: W.Small.

Marquis of Anglesey,
M.T.Bass.M.P., Brewer.
R.S.Belcher, Surgeon.
J.S.Clay, Brewer.
R.S.Tomlinson, Surgeon.
J.R.Warham, Ironfounder.
W.H.Worthington, Brewer.

Our information concerning headmasters and ushers is as follows:
1537-1510 and possibly later: RICHARD HACKMAN.
1605: Mn. HAZARD and MB. Shilton.
1656: (Molyneux: the house is occupied rent-free by the master’.
1662: Joseph Shilton, curate, may have been master, before 1745-1757: Rev. H.Jackson, vicar of Stapenhill. (1745: William Shilton was probably usher).
1782: (“B.H.”: the master’s and usher’s salaries were paid)
1795: Rev.John Hepworth.
1795-1808: Rev. Hugh Jonses, senior, curate of Burton and vicar of Stapenhill.
1822-1839: Rev. Hugh Jones.junior, A.B.. curate of Burton;
(Henry Hodson, usher, to 1861.William Shilton master of Alsop’s to 1849).
1839-1858: Rev.J.F.MacMichael
1839-1858: Rev. Valpy (presumably)
1858-1873: Rev. Henry Day.L.L.B. (Mr.H.Heape, second master to 1873)
1874-1882: Charles Undershell Tripp.M.A.Oxon. (Mr.Gardener, then Rev. T.W.Beckett, second master).
1884-1900: Rev. Thomas W.Beckett, M.A.Camh. (Mr. J.E.
Carey, second master).

From the point at which this record ends, we have a complete record of pupils at the school. Of pupils who were in attendance before 1885. our knowledge is fragmentary. We have named Pointz (1530), Belfield (before 1535), the Shiltons (about 1550), Jervis, Byard, and Hopkins (1745), M.T. Bass (about 1810), and DrcWett (before 1860), W. Clubb (1860): and in section 27 we have given names of boys at school in 1864.

J.E.Auden has recalled the following, who were at school in 1873 and 1874:

J.E.Auden, W.H.Auden, T.J.Allan, Arnold, Archer, Ashby, Baillie, Belcher, H.Beever, Bibby, Barratt, Capron, Cook. T.Callant, two Cottons, Draper, R.Day. Dilke. Feakes, G.E.French, Goodhead, F.,W.M. and another Hopkins, two Hadfields, E. and R. Hunter, Lobb, G. Lowe. S. Lunt. W. Morrall, W. Milne, Martin. J.Potter. Phillips, Rodwell, three Sims, two Smiths, Stynn, Stephenson. F., M., and T.Taylor, Upton, Wallas, C.E.Wright, Williams, S.A.Ward, two Whiteheads (or Whitehursts)

A photograph of the School in the Lent term, 1877. has the following signatures:

W.H.Auden, T.J.Allen, T.F.Auden, J.G.Anderson, A.Atkin, A., C. and J.Atterbury, P.Auty, A.H.Burghope, E.H. and T.A.Beckett, J.H.Birch, F.J.G.Borwell, J.Bullock, F.R.Bell. A.B.Beesby, F.H.Bindley, F.Bosworth, F.W.Bullock. H.J. and W.Clarke. A. and C.W.F.Clubb, J.J.Dickinson. W. and F. Evershed, G.E.French, E.C.Frampton, F.B., J.C.and T.II.Gorton. L. and T.Gibbs, C.H.Graham, E.Guest, F. and W.M, Hopkins, C.T. and S.B.Hallam, H.Higgott. J.W.Jefford. A.E. and F.J. Jackson. T.E.Lowe. P.W.Lunt, A.Litchfield, F.J.Mavgcr. J.Morris, A.J.G. Molvneux. T.Miller, J.E.Xowers, C.E. and F.J. Oldacres, J.Potter. W.J.Pickering, G.E. and J.Robinson, A.T.M.Russell. W.Shaw. J.Scattergood. T.E.Sanders, O.E.Wright. There is a French signature which has become indecipherable

F.R.Bell has sent us a list culled from a note-book of 1875. It contains many or these names, and also: Chancelor, Daniels.

It is one of our ambitious that we shall collect whatever Information about these Old Boys may be still available.

At school on 28th February each year we remember. On the anniversary of the endowment in 1529, all our benefactors. Although much of what follows belongs to a period later than 1884, we think It well at this time to put on record the names ol those from whose generosity the school will always benefit.

1. Of Beyne, Paulett, Finney, Allsop and Astyle, we have spoken in these pages.

2. Public subscriptions in memory of Henry Wardle. M.P. and Governor, in 1892. gave us the Wardle Memorial Prize.

3. In 1922, Old Boys gave to the school the War Memorial Playing Field.

4. In 1933, E.J. Manners. Old Boy and Governor, presented the Pavilion.

5. In 1933, J.H.Birch, Old Boy and later. Governor, instituted, and in 1939 endowed the J.H.Birch English Prizes.

6. 1943, the five brothers Guest, Old Boys, endowed the Guest Memorial History Prize, and Robert Yeomans, Old Boy, endowed the Modern Language Prize bearing his name.

7. In 1943 and 1944, Old Boys subscribed the W.D. Fraser Memorial Fund.

8. In 1945, Mrs. M.Ife endowed the S.J.IFE Memorial Athletics Trophy. (S.J.Ife was lost at sea on Active Service in 1944), and F.Evershed endowed the Frank Evershed Prize.

9. The School also possesses Challenge Trophies, awarded at various times between 1871 and 1945. valued at over £250.

At some time, as we said in the Introduction, we want to publish this part of the History of the School amplified and possibly amended.

We look forward to incorporating with it the whole of the History of Burton Grammar School in Bond Street. This should be a very different compilation from the present; it can all be based on “living memory” and on properly kept minutes. How successful it will be depends upon the co-operation of those past pupils and others who will send us their recollections. And so every Old Boy and everybody else who in past years bus had connections with the School is invited – rather, urged – to a send his account of the school as he knew it. Many hands make light work: there is no likelihood that too many cooks will spoil the broth. It will be the function of the Editor to see to that.

We also want to compile, as an appendix to the full story, a “Who’s Who” of Distinguished Old Boys. Distinctions have been achieved in a multitude of ways: at the Universities, in the Church, in the professions, in business, in military and in civic affairs. Here also we want help. We want Old Boys to throw away all the restrictions of modesty, and to send us their full biographies, and those of any of their contemporaries. The success of the attempt will depend upon their willingness to do this. Reports of progress when possible will appear in the pages of the School magazine, the “Cygnet.” which is sent regularly to all members of the Old Boys’ Association, the Secretary of which, Mr. J.F.Rose, can be reached either at 62, High Street, Burton-on-Trent, or at the School.

And now we pause. We do not know what the future has in store for the School. A new chapter in Its history is being opened by the operation of the 1944 Education Act. But thepages of that chapter cannot be written or read yet. We must face the future with hope, and with faith.

Floreat Schola Libera Burtoniensis


Website by Kevin Gallagher